A running gag is a joke or a comical reference that appears repeatedly throughout the show.
A-Troupe's continuous loss of dancers
- In Season 1, A-Troupe loses Giselle, James, Stephanie, Emily, Daniel, and Chloe. All of the dancers, except Daniel, eventually return during the season.
- In Season 2, A-Troupe loses Tiffany, Stephanie, Daniel, Michelle, Chloe, Emily, and Amanda. All of the dancers except Tiffany, Stephanie, and Daniel return during the season.
- In Season 3, A-Troupe loses Eldon, Emily, Hunter, James, Shantel, Ella, and Chloe. Only James and Eldon return.
- In Season 4, A-Troupe loses James, Stephanie, Max, Giselle, Thalia, Phoebe, West, Eldon, Riley, Cierra, and Amanda and Kate. Only Amanda returns. James returns but only to depart again. Kate returns in The Off Season.
- In The Off Season and Season 5, A-Troupe loses Alfie, Amanda, Amy, Cassie, Henry, Kingston, LaTroy, Michelle, Noah, Piper, Riley, Skylar, and Sloane. Amy, Henry, Kingston, Noah and Piper return.
- Richelle lampshades this gag in "Can't Fight This Feeling," claiming that the studio loses a dancer every 5 minutes.
Dance-offs being used to determine solutions
- As opposed to simpler practices such as playing Rock Paper Scissors, or flipping a coin, everything is determined via dance-off.
- Piper and Richelle lampshade this in "United and Divided" in trying to determine where the dance battle should be held.
Piper: Then I guess we'll have a dance off to determine home studio advantage. I mean, what else are we gonna do? Flip a coin?
Richelle: No chance.
- Main article: The Dolphin Tail
"Don't even worry about it"
- James is the main character to use this phrase, although he has claimed that the phrase is one that has been passed down through his family for generations.
- Naturally, Piper also uses the phrase.
- Riley uses this phrase in several episodes.
- Thalia uses this phrase in "I Don't Know".
- Michelle references the phrase in "Danger Zone."
- This gag is lampshaded in "Song for Riley" as heard in "Put You First."
Eldon's many love interests
- Eldon has had crushes on and dated Emily, Michelle, and Thalia.
- While both his relationships with Emily and Michelle did not last, it appears that this gag has been broken, as he is still in a relationship with Thalia two seasons after its conception and tells her that he loves her in "Here Comes Your Man."
Max drinking milk in Hidalgo's
Max's surprising hobbies
- Max's hobbies include square-dancing, burping, football, which are all at odds with his stoic demeanor.
- Deborah corrects James on his pronunciation of the capital city of Uruguay in "Dance, Dance."
- Noah reveals that his cat's name is Montevideo in "Can't Fight This Feeling."
- Abi subsequently points out that is is the capital of Uruguay, impressing Noah.
James, Riley and mountain water
- Main article: Mountain spring water
Name change of the juice bar
- In Season 1 the juice bar is called Squeezed.
- In Season 2, the juice bar is called Culture Shock.
- In Season 3, the juice bar is called Hidalgo's.
- In Season 4, the juice bar is called Java Junction.
- In Season 5, the juice bar is called Neutral Grounds.
- Riley lampshades this trend in "One More Time" and Piper lampshades it in "Dance, Lies and Hoverboards."
- The reason for the annual name change is due to the owner's travels to Orange County, Tokyo, Spain, Colombia and space, as said by Richelle in "Here Comes Your Man."
Noah's many love interests
- Noah has had feelings for Abi, Amanda, and Jacquie.
- Some have deemed Noah a second Eldon for this reason.
"Oh my dance"/"OMD"
- The climactic moments in episodes would be documented as OMD moments in the Season 1 Aftershow.
- Tré Armstrong uses the phrase at Nationals.
- Beth uses the phrase in "Today I'm Getting Over You."
- Family Channel's preview for "East Meets West" had this phrase displayed at the beginning.
Phoebe's strange quotes
- Main article: Phoebe/Quotes
Refurbishment of the secondary rehearsal room
- In Season 1, the room is known as Studio B.
- In Season 2 and Season 3, the room is known as the Music Room.
- In Season 4, the room is known as the Rehearsal Room.
- In Season 5, Studio 1 is created.
- Main article: Shawarma
"The auditions are in here, right?"
- Michelle says this when she arrives at the studio in "Get the Party Started."
- Daniel says this when he returns to the studio to audition in "I Hope I Get It."
- Piper asks James a variation of this question in "One More Time."
"This changes everything."
|"I'll get to you when I get to you!" - The missing information in this section of the article is to be added.|
- These have been named "famous words" by the show.
West's strange quotes
- Main article: West North/Quotes
- ↑ The Next Step Cast On... James - YouTube. YouTube (October 8, 2014). Retrieved on August 28, 2017.
- ↑ "Rewind." Wikia. Retrieved on August 28, 2017.
- ↑ "East Meets West" Preview - The Next Step. Youtube (October 6, 2017). Retrieved on October 21, 2017.
- ↑ THE NEXT STEP on Twitter: "Cue the famous words... #TheNextStep #TNS #TNSonFamily #ThisChangesEverything." Twitter (October 20, 2017). Retrieved on October 21, 2017.